FICO Community Blogs

jarikoister
"Go to your room.” “Why?” “Because I said so.”   This classic reasoning that is oh so familiar to most of us just does not cut it when it comes to artificial intelligence. When receiving instructions, advice, or even descriptions, questioning the reasons behind the decision is almost compulsory to understanding. It is not enough to simply… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
neilstickels@fico.com
The opioid abuse problem in America is growing out of control. Over 2 million Americans have a substance use disorder involving prescription pain relievers, and 91 Americans die every day from opioid abuse.   While there are many contributing factors to this epidemic, including the highly addictive nature of the drugs themselves, one leading… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
efliesler
FICO has been using analytics and decision management for 60 years, but it’s still a relatively new concept to the industry at-large. FICO develops analytic applications to automate some of the world’s largest businesses including major financial institutions, airlines, and telecommunications companies plus industry leaders in retail,… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
scottzoldi@fico.com
The Big Data promise continues to be just that, a promise. This is not because the technologies are flawed, but because effort is not focused in the right place.   8 in 10 organizations confessed to Gartner they are not able to exploit Big Data for competitive advantage. Following the Gartner Hype Cycle, Big Data travelled through the Technology… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
anya.vane
Drug addiction is a powerful and destructive debilitation. Death rates associated with the growing Opioid Epidemic rose an astonishing 72.2% from 2014 to 2015 across the country, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A total of 33,091 Americans died from opioid overdose in 2015; 91 people every day. These… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
georgevanecek@fico.com
If you are following Streaming Analytics, you have likely observed a movement in big data systems towards event stream processing to continuously analyze events, score them, and make decisions in real-time. This movement is also adopting online ML (machine learning) and predictive analytics based on incremental algorithms that learn from, and… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
lshahbazian@fico.com
When I analyze data and decisions with customers and colleagues, I often hear the question: “why bin the data?” In this blog series, I’ll explore the several benefits of binning, starting with its value for data exploration and insight generation. Examples in this blog are drawn from retail marketing, but apply across business contexts.   To… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
toddrollin@fico.com
Doctor Andrés L. Medaglia is a professor in the Department of Industrial Engineering’s Center for Optimization and Applied Probability (COPA, for its Spanish acronym) at Universidad de los Andes, Colombia. As an active member of the FICO Academic Partner Program (APP), Dr. Medaglia and his students have complimentary access to FICO Xpress… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
robin.d
Three years ago, I became a member of the IEEE. It started when I assisted the production of a Watson conference in a local university. In the conference, I was impressed by IEEE’s mission to advance technology to the benefit of humanity. At first, I was driven by the need to network as much as the desire to drive change for the better. I started… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
Fernando Jorge
I’m sure you shower nearly every day, washing your hair with the same shampoo. But have you ever given a single thought to the process that got that bottle of shampoo into your hand? We are living in a time when the bulk of our interactions are secretly driven by artificial intelligence (AI). Not secret in the Big Brother sense, but secret because… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
Makenna.Brei
It is time to refresh the standard benchmarking library for mixed integer programming - MIPLIB (http://miplib.zib.de)- so that it continues to reflect the state-of-the-art. We want you to play an active part in the process. You can contribute now and help shape the future of mixed integer programming by submitting your instances at… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
Fernando Jorge
Everyone makes decisions, every day. But the institutional history of decision making is vast and varied. Decision-making systems of the 1980s attempted to simulate the knowledge and analytical skills of human experts by structuring decisions as a hierarchy of goals, and then working backwards from these goals; a process known as backward chaining… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
anya.vane
Preventative healthcare profits from keeping people healthy and well. For a concept so simple, it’s remarkably complex to execute. Designing programs that prevent illness and complications requires complex models to determine the care best suited to each patient’s medical history, lifestyle, environment, and unique personality. Designing such… (Show more)
in FICO Community Blogs
Load more items