FICO Community Blogs

lshahbazian@fico.com
If you’ve been following my blog series beginning with Analytics for Employee Retention followed by Creating a Score for Employee Attrition, then you know my analysis so far has been all about the data. I made sure the data was clean and representative, and then binned the data to investigate how each variable relates to my target of attrition.… (Show more)
in FICO Community Articles
scottzoldi@fico.com
The Big Data promise continues to be just that, a promise. This is not because the technologies are flawed, but because effort is not focused in the right place.   8 in 10 organizations confessed to Gartner they are not able to exploit Big Data for competitive advantage. Following the Gartner Hype Cycle, Big Data travelled through the Technology… (Show more)
timoberthold@fico.com
Is the simplex algorithm the most important algorithm for solving linear programs (LPs)? If you pose this question to a mathematical optimization expert, you will most likely get a "Yes, but..." as a reply. It is common folklore in the field that simplex is the most viable choice for solving sequences of similar LPs, like a mixed integer… (Show more)
suehubbard
How can you use analytics to sell more sandwiches? I'll walk you through this use case where an independent convenience store owner recently decided to expand her lunch business by adding a deli counter, which provides customers with made-to-order sandwiches.   She wanted to analyze what customers were buying so she could improve her offerings.… (Show more)
robin.d
Business Rules Management System (BRMS): One system merging expertise and simple management.   Expert systems have been around for some time now and they are used widely. Each implementation is tailored to a special purpose, and these implementations require attention from experts in order to function properly, as they are very rigid and hard to… (Show more)
lshahbazian@fico.com
In my last blog, I explained how I organized the data in a Kaggle HR Attrition dataset to figure out how I could use analytics to improve employee retention. So far, I made sure the data was clean and representative, and then binned the data to investigate how each variable relates to my target of attrition. With a ranked list of each variable’s… (Show more)
timoberthold@fico.com
Mixed-Integer programming (MIP) solvers like FICO Xpress address the most challenging optimization problems. About every seven years a new test library of MIP instances is released, the MIPLIB (see our blog post Call for MIPLIB 2017 Submissions). Besides a benchmarking set, MIPLIB always contains unsolved "challenge" instances which the scientific… (Show more)
bonnieclark@fico.com
Imagine that your decision service compiles successfully and you are ready to run data through the decision service to see if your decision logic generates the expected results. Now that you have reached this important development milestone, how do you test and debug your decision service?   You simply upload a dataset to the decision service… (Show more)
lshahbazian@fico.com
Wherever there’s data, there’s a story to be told. I was browsing Kaggle for a dataset to analyze for a webinar (you can watch it here if you’re a member of WITI), and I came across this HR Attrition dataset. I’m used to the world of credit risk and lending scores, so the prospect of analyzing employee data piqued my interest as something… (Show more)
benjaminbaer@fico.com
In the age of Hadoop and the Big Data hype, millions (or billions) of dollars are being spent to create the biggest data repositories – collections of unstructured data files stored horizontally across server farms.  Over the last few years of investment organizations large and small have built out Big Data collections and, instead of… (Show more)
Makenna.Brei
Digital transformation is not just about implementing technology or changing the way technology is used. It is about a more evolved business experience; from operations to strategic decisions, companies are collaborating more with goals to improve workflows and increase the bottom line. Through automation, enhanced connectivity and more… (Show more)
Fernando Jorge
Several thousand decisions have already been made by the time shampoo is bottled, but at that point, it’s only half way to your cart. The role of artificial intelligence continues to affect the path the product takes from its origin all the way to your shower. In our journey through the secret life of your shampoo so far (you can get up to speed… (Show more)
cliveharris
The means by which we make decisions have fascinated researchers for generations. The Greek historian Herodotus was excited to discover, nearly 2500 years ago, of how the ancient Persians used to debate every decision twice – once when drunk, and once when sober – and if the two debates agreed, then the decision was passed. While no doubt fun for… (Show more)
Load more items